Pular para o conteúdo principal

Homenagem a DBS, captain, my captain...

I must confess that I had an intense and somehow turbulent relationship with DBS. In part, that was because my father was also the Principal of Colégio Santa Cruz, a Canadian school founded by two priests, Father Lionel Corbeil and Father Paul Eugéne Charbonneau, a kind of local Kurt Hann. It was due to his tenacity and inventiveness that Santa, as we all it, became the best school in São Paulo and the first one to send students to UWCs. He made Santa Cruz a place that was the sole educational stronghold against Brazilian dictatorship, which lasted for 21 long years from 1964 to 1985. At Santa, Father Charbonneau showed movies that were forbidden by governmental censorship agency, such as Christiane F. – Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo, shocking Brasilian church too. He was always at TV shows and used to wear red when defending conservative ideas and clergymen when defending very revolutionary theses, as women liberation, sexuality, or marijuana consumption - he was favor to legalization already in the sixties. Also, he was seen drinking with students, beer or whiskey, and in the company of beautiful women late in the night.
My father succeed Corbeil as a Headmaster. Also, my uncle, his brother, was dean at one of the best federal university in Brazil.
My father met David in Duino. He had a meeting with him to discuss if I had do leave the school because of my hearing loss and awful academic performance at the beginning of my first year, something that I think would be unbelievable nowadays...
But, I am especially grateful to Mr, Sutcliffe and also to Elizabeth. Both were my tutors. They took me by the hands and made me understand and learn that nothing in life is easy; for everything that you earn, you have to work hard, and sometimes you have to do painfully.
DBS knew that Maria Teresa, the Italian teacher who died od cancer during our first year, liked me very much and cared about my future. She was especially concerned of the bad habits I had - heavy drinking and smoking - much like an average Latin American boy, always running after any nice skirt, some of wich I still have to this day.
One day David came up to me and said: let´s visit Maria Teresa in the hospital, it´s going to be a farewell. He knew she was dying and he was right, it happen days after we went there, and I remember all the words she said to me: "Luiz, you are intelligent, pretty and funny, everybody likes you, but you have to take care. "Smoke less, drink less and sleep more," She was right. I quitted cigarettes, still smoke cigars in particular situations, but couldn´t handle sleeping less.
So, for me, David was and meant a kind o mixed feelings: half a father, half the incredible headmaster he was, in fact.
In the second year´s yearbook, I wrote something and quoted the final of the lyric of The Boxer, a song I loved and still love, by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, two American genius.
So, to finish, excuse me for such long text. let me quote the lyric again, pointing out that now the years are rolling by me; they are rocking easily. I am older than I once was, and younger than I’ll be. But, that’s not unusual, no, it isn’t strange; changes after changes, we are more or less the same. Thanks, DBS and Elizabeth, to allow me to be part of your lives, you were very important for me.

The Boxer

I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station
Running scared,
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places
Only they would know
Lie la lie, lie la la la lie lie
Lie la lie, lie la la la la lie la la lie

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores
On Seventh Avenue
I do declare
There were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there, le le le le le le
Lie la lie, lie la la la lie lie
Lie la lie, lie la la la la lie la la lie

Now the years are rolling by me
They are rocking easily
I am older than I once was
And younger than I’ll be
But that’s not unusual
No, it isn’t strange
After changes upon changes
We are more or less the same
After changes we are
More or less the same
Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters
Aren't bleeding me
Leading me
Going home

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of ev'ry glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving; I am leaving."
But the fighter still remains...


Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

No pior clube

O livro O Crepúsculo da Democracia, da escritora e jornalista norte-americana Anne Applebaum, começa numa festa de Réveillon. O local: Chobielin, na zona rural da Polônia. A data: a virada de 1999 para o ano 2000. O prato principal: ensopado de carne com beterrabas assadas, preparado por Applebaum e sua sogra. A escritora, que já recebeu o maior prêmio do jornalismo nos Estados Unidos, o Pulitzer, é casada com um político polonês, Radosław Sikorski – na época, ele ocupava o cargo de ministro do Interior em seu país. Os convidados: escritores, jornalistas, diplomatas e políticos. Segundo Applebaum, eles se definiam, em sua maioria, como “liberais” – “pró-Europa, pró-estado de direito, pró-mercado” – oscilando entre a centro-direita e a centro-esquerda. Como costuma ocorrer nas festas de Réveillon, todos estavam meio altos e muito otimistas em relação ao futuro. Todos, é claro, eram defensores da democracia – o regime que, no limiar do século XXI, parecia ser o destino inevitável de toda

Abaixo o cancelamento

A internet virou o novo tribunal da inquisição — e isso é péssimo Só se fala na rapper Karol Conká, que saiu do BBB, da Rede Globo, com a maior votação da história do programa. Rejeição de 99,17% não é pouca coisa. A questão de seu comportamento ter sido odioso aos olhos do público não é o principal para mim. Sou o primeiro a reconhecer que errei muitas vezes. Tive atitudes pavorosas com amigos e relacionamentos, das quais me arrependo até hoje. Se alguma das vezes em que derrapei como ser humano tivesse ido parar na internet, o que aconteceria? Talvez tivesse de aprender russo ou mandarim para recomeçar a carreira em paragens distantes. Todos nós já fizemos algo de que não nos orgulhamos, falamos bobagem, brincadeiras de mau gosto etc… Recentemente, o ator Armie Hammer, de Me Chame pelo Seu Nome, sofreu acusações de abuso contra mulheres. Finalmente, através do print de uma conversa, acabou sendo responsabilizado também por canibalismo. Pavoroso. Tudo isso foi parar na internet. Ergue

OCDE e o erro do governo na gestão das expectativas

O assunto do dia nas redes é a tal negativa dos Estados Unidos para a entrada do Brasil na OCDE (Organização para Cooperação e Desenvolvimento Econômico). Enquanto os oposicionistas aproveitam para tripudiar, os governistas tentam colocar panos quentes na questão, alegando que não houve propriamente um veto à presença do Brasil no clube dos grandes, a Série A das nações. Quem trabalha com comunicação corporativa frequentemente escuta a frase "é preciso gerenciar a expectativa dos clientes". O problema todo é que o governo do presidente Bolsonaro vendeu como grande vitória a entrada com apoio de Trump - que não era líquida e certa - do país na OCDE. Ou seja, gerenciou mal a expectativa do cliente, no caso, a opinião pública brasileira. Não deixa de ser irônico que a Argentina esteja entrando na frente, logo o país vizinho cujo próximo governo provavelmente não será dos mais alinhados a Trump. A questão toda é que o Brasil não "perdeu", como o pobre Fla-Flu que impe